An 1862 Ball Gown

for the mourning of Prince Albert

The entire sleeve was mounted on a base of white polished cotton and cotton net. First, the net base was sewn to the polished cotton base.

Next, the first puff of white net was made by folding a piece of net in half and gathering the top. It was then sewn to the base.

This was repeated with a second piece of net, and the net undersleeve was inserted into the silk sleeve and they were sewn into the bodice as one.

The plain bodice. I took pictures each step of the way while decorating it.

First, I put a ruching of taffeta around the neckline. It narrowed at the shoulders and was at its widest in the center front and back. Then I trimmed each edge with velvet ribbon.

Then I started beading. Each bead flower is made with a center bead that was 1mm larger than the six surrounding beads.

The beading continued around the back.

And the beading on the sleeves.

The finished bodice!

The Dress
My Costumes
Mid-Nineteenth Century

I'd like to go home!