I started by cutting the lining, then I used the lining as my pattern. Here you can see the cotton sateen on the velvet. It takes a little longer to cut this way, since you cut each layer of the velvet individually, but it's worth it because you know that your lining and fabric match perfectly.
Next, I pinned all the pieces. I was very careful moving them so I wouldn't shift the layers. This makes it possible to skip basting the two layers of fabric together.
Next, sew the seams.
Once the seams were sewn, I tried the bodice on inside out and pinned the darts in. Then I sewed them in place and checked the fit.
Time for the sleeves. The back sleeve seam lines up with the side back seam. The sleeve fits smoothly into the armscye, with no gathering or easing stitches.
To make the collar, first sew the velvet and lining, right sides together along the two short sides and one long side, leaving one long side open.
Turn the collar right side out and press. (This is possible with velvet, just use a fluffy towel below it so the pile doesn't crush.)
Cut a piece of bias tape the same length as the collar.
The collar and bias tape sewn into place.
Fold the end of the bias tape under and handstitch into place.